Piyush Goyal, The Minister of Railways recently announced the second Vande Bharat Express train, from New Delhi to Katra. The confirmatory oscillograph car runs (COCR) of the train have already been completed and the train is scheduled to be flagged off during Navratras.
- Seen as the successor of Shatabdi trains (introduced in 1988), the Railway Ministry plans to roll out 40 more such trains by March 2022.
According to the tentative schedule by the Railway Ministry, the new Delhi-Katra Vande Bharat Express will depart from Delhi at 6:00 AM and reach Katra at 2:00 PM. On its return journey starting from Katra, the train will depart the same day at 3:00 PM and reach the national capital at 11:00 PM. Halt stations: Ludhiana, Ambala Cantt and the Jammu Tawi The train will ensure faster connectivity to the devotees going to Vaishno Devi temple.
Vande Bharat Express:
- Originally named ‘Train 18’ as the train was made in 18 months.
- It can achieve high speeds (max speed of 160 mph) due to faster acceleration & deceleration.
- Vande Bharat Express is India’s first indigenously made, semi-high-speed train.
- The first Vande Bharat Express, between Varanasi-Delhi route, was flagged-off on 15th, 2019.
- The 16-coach train has 2 Executive Class Chair Cars and 14 Chair Cars.
- The total seating capacity of the train is 1,128 passengers.
- The first train was been manufactured by Integral Coach Factory (ICF), Chennai in a record period of 18 months under ‘Make in India’ program.
- It has an intelligent braking system with power regeneration for better energy efficiency thereby making it cost, energy and environment are efficient.
- The regenerative braking system in the coaches can save up to 30% of electrical energy.
- The world-class passenger amenities of the train include:
- Automatic doors and sliding stairs to help passengers ascend and descend.
- GPS based audio-visual passenger information system
- Driving cabs at both ends
- Emergency talk-back units for passengers to talk to train’s crew in an emergency.
- On-board hotspot Wi-Fi for entertainment purposes
- Bio-vacuum toilets
- Dual Lighting (diffused for general illumination and personal for every seat)
- Every coach has a pantry with the facility to serve hot meals, hot and cold beverages.
- Intelligent Braking system with power regeneration.
- The insulation is meant to keep heat and noise to very low levels for additional passenger comfort.
Additionally, Indian Railways and ICF are also planning the development of Train 20, another semi-high-speed train that will replace the Rajdhani Express.
Related sources: 5 Judicial Writs Empowered by the Constitution of India, Bhoodan Movement
For more updated content related to Current Affairs, History, Polity, Geography, Economics, Mathematics and General Sciences for various competitive examinations, follow us on https://www.radianbooks.in/